We recommend using vaults and folders to organize information, manage access and simplify security.
Vaults are containers that divide the data source into smaller containers.
Folders organize entries in a vault.
Here is an example of vaults in Remote Desktop Manager. It includes vaults for different departments at "Windjammer Inc" and two vaults for customers: Downhill Pro and Telemark.
Example of vaults
Here is an example of the folders in the Downhill Pro vault. Two folders Servers and UBNTU-LAMP were customized.
Example of folder structure in a vault
Vaults simplify user management because a role (Active Directory group) can be given access to particular vaults. It reduces the need for permissions on lower level folders.
A good practice is to use one vault per department or client.
1. Go to Administration – Vaults
Vaults - Administration tab
2. In User and Security Management, click Add Vault.
Add Vault - User and Security Management
3. Enter a Name and optional Description.
4. To configure security, offline mode, permissions, and other options on the vault, see Root Settings
Learn more about Vaults.
Folders are used to organize entries inside the vault.
We recommend you save all your entries inside folders (i.e. no individual entries should be saved at the root level).
1. Go to Edit - New Entry.
Add New Entry
2. Choose Folder.
Folder - New Entry
3. Select the folder and click Properties on the Edit tab to configure options (e.g. VPNs, Permissions). Entries can inherit settings from the folder.
Select folder then go to Edit- Properties
Learn more about folders.